Saturday, September 10, 2011

Re-dressing the Dresser - Part 2

In case you missed it, be sure to check out Part 1 first:
http://amandaleaps.blogspot.com/2011/09/re-dressing-dresser-part-1.html

So, I had my dresser/mirror combo and all my supplies, so all that was left was to get to work! The process of re-finishing furniture isn't difficult, its just time consuming.

Step one: clean the crap out of it. Especially if it was purchased from a hoarder. For this I used an all-purpose cleaner and a sponge. Easy peasey.

Step two: sand that sucker down. I used a super fine sandpaper since the dresser is a particle board type material with a shiny finish to it (rather than solid wood).

Step three: wipe it down with a damp paper towel to get rid of any dust from standing. Wait for it to be 100% dry before moving on.

Step four: paint away! Again, because of the material, I chose to use spray paint rather than paint and a brush. Since I had prepped the hell out of it and it was white to begin with I painted without priming it first. The whole project took two coats of paint, so I don't regret foregoing the primer.

Et voila! You're as good as done! I wasn't done at this point, haha, but if you were just refinishing a basic dresser, you could be.

I'm still not gonna show you the actual furniture yet (I'm saving that for the big reveal - I know, I'm such a tease) but we're almost there, I promise!

Until next time...


1 comment:

  1. Hi Amanda! Thanks for your comment ... I love reading other Navy spouse blogs! We have some friends stationed in Lemoore but I think they are all on deployment right now. We are in Whidbey until March and then headed to Japan for a 2.5 year tour, but will hopefully come back to Whidbey afterwards. The weather definitely takes some getting used to but it's definitely a beautiful part of the country to live in!

    ReplyDelete

I always love getting some blog love...

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik