Monday, July 22, 2013

MmmMmmMmm-Monday - Homemade Waffles with Strawberries and Whipped Cream


W has seriously loved me being pregnant solely for the fact that I've added a lot of variety to our breakfast menu.  I used to eat oatmeal and he would have turkey sausage and eggs almost every day.  Now all bets are off when it comes to what we'll have for breakfast because I want something different every day!  And one of our favorites has been homemade waffles!

The recipe I have created morphed out of a super complicated recipe where you were separating eggs so you can whip the white and fold them in at the end and all sorts of other time consuming (and dish dirtying) steps.  I got lazy and quickly realized it didn't matter - the waffles were just as good even if you were lazy and only wanted to dirty one bowl like me!

Ingredients

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp melted butter
  • 2 eggs

In a medium size bowl mix all the dry ingredients together.  Then add all the other ingredients and mix those in.  Waffle batter is supposed to be "lumpy" but if it's too lumpy your waffles are gross, so I like to mix everything up with a whisk to minimize the lumpiness.  Bam!  Your batter is done!  By the way - I don't measure out honey, it's too much of a pain in the ass since it sticks to measuring spoons so much.  I just eyeball it and it turns out fine.  If you're super paranoid you can try your batter and see if it needs to be sweeter.  Or if you're afraid of salmonella (damn those raw eggs) you could make a waffle and try it before adding more honey.  You'll get the hang of it eventually, I promise.

I don't have a full "waffle iron."  They're kinda expensive and they take up way too much space in our tiny kitchen so I actually have a waffle pan that I got off Zulily a while ago when they had one of their "breakfast events."  It was less than $20 and tucks away nicely with my other pans.  I was apprehensive about how I would be able to flip waffles when I ordered it but it's actually super easy...

I set the burner to medium heat and let the pan heat up before starting with my first batch.  I always rub some butter on each section of the pan.  It's non-stick, so it probably isn't necessary, but it tastes delicious.  Then, pour batter on pan...
When it's crazy bubbly flip them with a fork...
Easy peasy.

And I'm actually not a huge fan of syrup.  The only kind I like is "maple flavored syrup" also known as corn syrup that's been dyed a lovely brown color.  So instead I like my waffles with strawberries and whipped cream.  I cut up my strawberries and sprinkle a tiny bit of sugar on them and then microwave them for 20-30 seconds depending on how much I have.

Since I'm kinda a whipped cream snob I actually like to make my own.  I put the bowl and the whisk for my hand mixer in the freezer when I start making the waffle batter so it's chilled by the time I'm ready to make the whipped cream.  Then I just kinda eyeball it (sorry, not useful at all, I know).  All I put in it is whipping cream and sugar.
I start with just a little sugar and taste and add more as necessary.  Just whip it until it's the desired consistency...

Et voila!  A delicious breakfast!


W LOOOOOVES waffles...

 He shoved half a waffle in his mouth for this picture...

 Yay!  Homemade waffles are the best!!!

1 comment:

  1. Is egg the key ingredient for making waffles. I don't like the smell of egg. Can I use a normal pan from making it? Help please.....

    ReplyDelete

I always love getting some blog love...

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik