Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Here Comes The Seamonkey Part 4 - Every part of my body wanted me to push

In case you missed it be sure to check out Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3 before reading any more...

I'm going to say it was about 930 am when The Midwife decided she wanted to put an internal monitor in since my contractions were still super weird and for whatever reason the external monitor wasn't always picking them up.  First she checked me and I was barely over 6 cm.  Then she tried to put the internal monitor in and for whatever reason, it hurt like hell.  She was a little taken aback by it, since it really shouldn't hurt but since it was clearly painful for me she said she would take it out.  Then she happened to check me again and I was magically at 8 cm.  Even she didn't believe it (barely 10 minutes had passed since I was at 6) so she had the nurse double check, and the nurse agreed...I was at 8 cm!  The end really was in site!!!

Then, just before 10, every part of my body wanted me to push.  So, I hit the red button to get a nurse in there and she kinda rolled her eyes and reminded me that I was just at 8 cm and if I pushed too soon it would just make my cervix swell which would make it harder to deliver when it actually was time.  But trying to stop myself from pushing was horrible.  So, I quickly pushed the red button to get her butt back there and so she checked me again.  I was pretty much fully dilated.  So she told me to push when I felt the urge to and when I did her eyes opened wide and she said to stop pushing while she went and got the midwife.

It was 10:05 am when the midwife was set up and they told me to push when I felt the need to, so when my body wanted to push, I pushed.

10 minutes pass and they're telling me I'm doing a great job, but I can't tell whether or not I'm pushing effectively (which was the only downside of the epidural - I couldn't tell if he was getting any closer to being out or not).

10 more minutes pass and I'm asking if there's anything else I can do but they promise me I'm doing a great job pushing.

5 more minutes pass and I'm starting to get exhausted and I start wondering how the hell I'm going to do this.  Pushing is exhausting.  It didn't hurt thanks to my wonderful epidural, but it was exhausting.

Then I start to feel myself tear just the slightest bit so I knew he must be close.  I was pushing with everything I had when his head finally came out...but the chord was wrapped around his neck.  I'm freaking out as they're clamping and cutting the chord.  I'm still freaking out (I mean seriously, the fucking chord was around his neck) as the midwife tells me to push once more and he'll be out.  I pushed, and before I knew it they had him on my belly and they're wiping him off.  Right after he came out, so did {what felt like} 10 gallons of liquid and I asked if that was normal, which they assured me it was.  Now, instead of freaking out about the chord or the tidal wave that followed the baby, I'm freaking out because he isn't crying!!!

I should have realized that the Midwife and the nurses would have been doing something if there was something wrong, but all I wanted was to hear my baby cry.  He was perfectly healthy, but he never cried.  Eventually I believed everyone that everything was okay and I just held my baby against my belly even though he was still covered in goo.

Wesley Glenn Hinson was born at 10:43 am on April 1st, 2012 and weighed 7 pounds 6 ounces and was 20 1/4 inches long.


  1. yay congratulations! he is adorable!!

  2. He is so stinkin' cute! Congratulations to you and your husband :) I love his name!

  3. Hi! What a gorgeous baby! Congratulations!! Faye xx


I always love getting some blog love...


Template by | Header Image by Freepik