Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Here Comes The Seamonkey Part 1 - I know I'm not in labor, I'm just getting sick!

FYI - there will be no photographs until the very end of the birth story.  If you all thought you were gonna get to see pictures of me in general disarray in the hospital, you were very wrong.  Instead you'll just have to deal with words until I get to the point where I pop The Seamonkey out (and he gets all cleaned up).  It's my blog and I'll do what I want! haha

Friday, March 30th - I woke up and could tell I was getting sick right off the bat.  I felt the early signs of a fever and just generally felt icky.  Since I don't get a fever unless I'm actually sick I went into the hospital.  I went straight to the Maternal Infant Unit where they hooked me up to the monitors since I had been having weekly Non-Stress Tests due to high blood pressure for the past month or so and they promptly informed me I wasn't in labor.

I didn't think I was in labor.  I thought I was sick.  But, apparently they didn't believe me (this is only the first of many reasons I don't like the OB that I dealt with that morning - we'll call him Dr. V) and asked if maybe I was just having an anxiety attack since I was getting closer to my due date since it said in my file that I had a history of anxiety. I love when people use the fact that I have a history of mental illness against me (::sarcasm::).  So they sent me on my merry way.

As the day went on I felt worse and worse.  It felt like I was developing a flu.  And then, the contractions started, and I assumed they were just more braxton hicks.

The contractions continued and they were completely irregular.  I strongly believed it was just false labor and was regularly annoying a friend of mine who just had a baby 2 months previous asking silly questions to try and figure out if I was experiencing "normal" pain or not when she finally said she was gonna come by to give me her massive exercise ball to bounce on to try and get through the crazy irregular contractions I was having.

The ball helped for a while, but the pain from the contractions was getting worse.  It honestly felt like my insides were being torn up.  It got to the point that The Sailor really wasn't comfortable with me being in that much pain so I agreed to go back to the hospital where they promptly hooked me up to the monitors again.

Funny thing about those monitors...they picked up The Seamonkey's heartrate just fine, but they did not pick up my contractions.  We had to keep moving the monitor around to pick them up and as soon as the nurse would leave they would stop picking them up again.  But, I wasn't dilated and my water hadn't broken so I wasn't actually in labor yet...instead they thought I might have a fucking bladder infection (lucky me).

But since they wouldn't have the lab results back until the next day douche bag Dr. V (who was the OB on-call all weekend) wouldn't give me any antibiotics or anything for the pain despite the fact that every time I would have one of my super irregular contractions I would double over in pain and beg God for mercy.  And, once again, he sent me on my merry way.

That was the worst night of my life.

To be continued...


  1. I'm so happy you are back! I'm sorry you didn't like being pregnant, but now it's over and you have a baby!!!! I can't wait to read the rest of your birth story and see pictures of your little boy!!!

  2. woohoo! waiting patiently for the rest! congrats on the little man!


I always love getting some blog love...


Template by | Header Image by Freepik