Monday, June 24, 2013

MmmMmmMmm-Monday - Fruit Pizza with a Homemade Sugar Cookie Crust

I came across this recipe on Pinterest and I knew I had to make it, so when I was invited to a Summer Solstice Potluck last Friday, I decided it was a perfect chance!


I'm not going to lie though, I think it's kinda dumb to use a store bought sugar cookie dough; I mean, sugar cookies are the easiest thing on the planet so I made mine from scratch.  For that, I used this Martha Stewart Recipe:

Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (please don't ever buy imitation vanilla extract, the real stuff is worth the extra money...I promise)
  1. Whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl; set aside.  In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar; mix until light and fluffy.  With mixer running, add egg, milk, and vanilla; mix until well combined.  With the mixer on low, slowly add reserved flour mixture.  Mix until just combined.
  2. Transfer dough to a work surface.  Shape into 2 discs, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
At this point we're done with that recipe.  Next I shaped the "crust" of the pizza.  I only used about 2/3 of the cookie dough (or else it wouldn't have fit in my container to transport it to the party, haha) and the easiest way to make one big circle is to place the ball of dough between two pieces of wax paper.  First mush it down, then use a rolling pin to roll it out to about 1/8 of an inch trying to keep it as round as possible.  Pull off the top piece of wax paper, and you can keep it on the bottom piece to bake it so it won't stick to your cookie sheet.

The massive cookie needs to be baked at 350 for 10-15 minutes (until it is a golden brown color).

Next we make the "sauce."  Take a softened 8 ounce package of cream cheese and a 7 ounce jar of marshmallow fluff and beat them together.  Voila - that's all you have to do for the sauce!

Finally you spread the sauce on the crust and decorate with whatever fruit you want!  The recipe I referenced says to not put it together more than 45 minutes before people will be eating it or else it will get soggy, but I didn't have that issue (maybe because she used crappy, store-bought crust...just sayin').

It was super delicious!  I used plums, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, and grapes on mine (and all of that except the grapes were from our local farmer's market).  I 100% recommend it for any summer parties you plan to attend!





1 comment:

I always love getting some blog love...

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik