Monday, June 10, 2013

MmmMmmMmm-Monday - Classic Diner Style Blueberry Muffins

When I was in high school I worked in a diner.  Cute, little, family run place (actually my two sisters and I all worked there) with classic, greasy diner food.  One of my favorite things to get for breakfast was a "grilled" muffin which although it was technically heated up on the grill, they did it in a large dollop of butter, so it's more fried than grilled.  Still to this day, my favorite way to eat muffins is to pan fry them.


Blueberry muffins are something that I really don't think you should mess with.  I don't want any crazy spices or flavors in them, I just want a blueberry muffin.  So my favorite recipe is actually the one from my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. Not only are they delicious, it's a super quick and easy recipe.



1 3/4 c all purpose flour
1/3 c sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 beaten egg
3/4 c milk
1/4 c cooking oil
1/2 c blueberries (the recipe calls for 3/4 c but that's way too much for my taste...I like more muffin in my muffins)

And I add sugar in the raw on the top

Put liners in your muffin pan and preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  (I always sift my dry ingredients together, although the recipe doesn't call for it)

In another bowl combine egg, milk, and oil.

Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add egg mixture all at once to it.


Stir until moistened (it's a thick, lumpy batter).

Add blueberries and stir again.


Spoon batter into muffin pan and cook for 10 minute.

Remove muffins and brush with a little bit of milk then sprinkle with sugar in the raw (the milk helps it stick).


Cook for another 10 minutes - et voila!  Delicious and simple blueberry muffins!

There are like a million reasons to pan fry your muffin.  Didn't cook all the way through?  Pan fry it - it'll finish cooking it.  Cooked it a little too much and it's dry?  Pan fry it - the butter will make it less dry.  Don't like a cold muffin?  Pan fry it - it'll heat it up.

But the most important reason is it's effing delicious and adds a crispy, fried layer to it ::nomnomnom::

All you do is heat up a skillet (if I had a cast iron skillet, this would be a perfect use for it, but alas, I do not) throw some butter on there and cook the muffin until you think it's "done."



Then you can throw it on a plate with a few strawberries and take pretty pictures of it...

Sooooo good.  And it's Wesley approved!



Please notice Gabby hoping he's dropping something off the side of his high chair.

Enjoy!!!

**All personal photos**

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm yum! I love blueberry muffins! Sophie stalks Mya while she eats too. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. hemmmmm yummy, i like it, its delicious blueberry muffins, very inspirative

    ReplyDelete

I always love getting some blog love...

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik